Happy Pride Month to all of our LGBTQIA2S+ viewers and supporters! As a public service, OETA is proud to provide and illuminate stories for the benefit of all Oklahomans. Celebrate Pride Month this June, and every day, with OETA. Explore a special collection of LGBTQ+ programs airing this month, including Ballerina Boys from American Masters, Out in Rural America, Murder in Montrose, and many more.
Last year, many of the Pride events in Oklahoma were canceled because of the pandemic. This year, the Oklahoma Pride celebrations are back! See a list of events happening in Oklahoma City and Tulsa below, along with Oklahoma's LGBTQIA2S+ community partners.
American Masters: Ballerina Boys
Monday, June 14 | 9 pm
Discover Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo (The Trocks), an all-male company that for 45 years has offered audiences their passion for ballet classics mixed with exuberant comedy. With every step, they poke fun at their strictly gendered art form.
Thursday, June 14 | 10 pm
Follow queer actor Dyllón Burnside on a journey to discover how LGBTQIA2S+ Americans are finding ways to live authentically and with pride in the modern South.
Murder in Montrose
Monday, June 28 | 10:30 pm
Twenty-five years ago, Paul Broussard, a 27-year-old gay man, was murdered on the streets of Houston, sparking a deafening outcry. The crime served as a wake-up call that highlighted all of the harassment and mistreatment experienced by the LGBTQIA2S+ community. Through the documentary, Houston Public Media explores the aftermath of this pivotal event—from civil unrest to hate crime legislation; from victim’s rights to political activism.
You May Also Like
The Birdcage | Saturday, June 19 at 9 pm
A gay cabaret owner and his drag queen companion agree to put up a false straight front so that their son can introduce them to his fiancée's right-wing moralistic parents. This 1996 comedy classic stars Robin Williams, Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest in an ensemble cast.
The Lavender Scare | Monday, June 21 at 10 pm
The Lavender Scare is the first documentary film to tell the little-known story of an unrelenting campaign by the federal government to identify and fire all employees suspected of being homosexual.
Our in Rural America | Monday, June 24 at 7 pm
Out in Rural America is a film that explores the struggles and joys of being lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, and genderqueer in rural America. Following five stories from the LGBTQIA2S+ community over six years, the film explores the issues of self-doubt, discrimination, acceptance, and small-town and Midwestern LGBTQIA2S+ life from a cultural, social, familial, and religious perspective.
LGBTQIA2S+ Shorts You Can Stream Right Now
- Pacific Heartbeat: Awa’s Story and The Rogers
- POV Shorts: Post-Coloniel Queer
- If Cities Could Dance: J-Setting
- Origin of Everything: How Did Pride Become a Parade?
- POV: Shorts: Reluctunctly Queer
WORLD Channel Pride Programs
- Becoming Johanna | Monday, June 14 at 8 pm
- Coming Out: A 50 Year History | Tuesday, June 15 at 6 pm
- American Experience: Stonewall Uprising | Friday, June 18 at 6 pm
- American Masters: Terrance McNally | Friday, June 18 at 7:30 pm
- Considering Matthew Shepard | Monday, June 26 at 6 pm
- Pacific Heartbeat: Born This Way/The Rogers | Monday, June 28 at 7 pm
OKC Pride Events & Dates
- Opening Ceremonies | Tuesday, June 1 at 6 pm
- Pride on the Plaza | Friday, June 11 at 6 pm
- Youth Night | Wednesday, June 23 at 6 pm
- OKC Pride Fest at Scissortail Park | Friday, June 25 - Sunday, June 27
- Red Coyote Love Run 5K & 10K | Saturday, June 26 at 8 am
- OKC Pride Downtown Parage | Saturday, June 26 at 10 am
Tulsa Pride Events & Dates
- Tulsa Pride Festival and Parade | Friday and Saturday, June 25 and 26