EXPECTATIONS FOR STEM FAIR
Thank you for choosing to participate in the OETA Kids Summerfest STEM Fair!
During the STEM Fair, you and your child will select a project were you will create a new or improve a simple machine that can be used in daily life. Once you have completed the project you will prepare a report to explain your project to the judges. While everyone will be recognized for their participation, A first, second and third place team will be chosen as winners for the competition.
The competition schedule is as follows:
10:00 am – 10:15 am: Orientation (you will receive your project kit, materials and group assignment during this time)
10:15 am – 11:45 am: Group 1 Work Time (this is the time you will be allotted to work on your project)
11:45 am – 12:00 pm: Group 1 Clean up and Report Time (this is the time you will clean up your stations and prepare your presentation for the judges)
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Group 2 Work Time
1:30 pm – 1:45 pm: Group 2 Clean up and Report Time
1:45 pm – 2:00 pm: Judging
2:00 pm: Awards given
Here are the expectations for participation.
- Competitors with work in teams of one parent and one child. Each party is expected to contribute equally to the project.
- Competitors are expected to arrive at the OETA office located at 535 North Greenwood Avenue (on the OSU-Tulsa campus) no later than 10:00 am on the day of the competition for orientation and to receive their project kit.
- Competitors may obtain assistance ONLY from designated STEM Fair consultants. Consultations are expected to last no longer than 10 minutes AND no more than two consultations during the building stage.
- Competitors must complete their project within the time allotted to be eligible for judging.
- Competitors are expected to provide the following (among other) information in their report for judging (pre-kindergarten through 1stgrade children are expected to dictate as much of this information as possible to their parents)
- A description of your project
- The kind of machine it is (pulley, lever, etc.)
- How it can be used in day-to-day life
- Competitors are expected to HAVE FUN!!!